U.S. Warship Blackout In Red China’s Backyard

NAVY DESTROYER GOES DARK

An American warship sat dead in the water for four straight days in one of the most contested stretches of ocean on earth, and its own crew had no toilets, no air conditioning, and no hot food while engineers scrambled to bring it back to life.

Story Snapshot

  • The USS Benfold, an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, lost all power on July 24 in the South China Sea after a generator failure the Navy calls an “engineering casualty.”
  • The ship could not move under its own power for four days and had no working toilets, galley, air conditioning, or clean drinking water.
  • No sailors were hurt, and other ships in the strike group brought over food while the crew worked repairs.
  • The Benfold was towed to Subic Bay in the Philippines, where repairs finished in August, and the Navy is still investigating the root cause.

What Happened Aboard The Benfold

The USS Benfold was sailing with the USS George Washington Carrier Strike Group on July 24 when its generators failed. Seventh Fleet spokesman Commander Matthew Comer confirmed the ship suffered an “engineering casualty” that caused a full power loss lasting four days.

That single event knocked out propulsion, meaning the 505-foot destroyer could not steer or move on its own in waters China actively patrols and disputes with its neighbors.

Losing generators on a warship does not just kill the lights. It shuts down everything the generators feed, and on the Benfold that meant no working toilets, no galley to cook meals, no air conditioning in tropical heat, and limited clean drinking water.

Sailors relied on food brought over from other ships in the strike group while damage control teams worked around the clock to restore power.

No Injuries, But A Real Test Of The Crew

Commander Comer said no sailors were injured during the ordeal and praised the crew’s “resilience, grit, professionalism and unwavering steadiness” through four days without basic services. That matters.

A dead-in-the-water destroyer in contested waters is a vulnerable target, unable to maneuver, radar capability reduced, defenseless if trouble arose. The fact that nothing worse happened speaks to training and discipline, not luck alone.

Once the generators came back online enough to move, the Benfold was towed to Subic Bay in the Philippines for full repairs, which the Navy says were completed in August.

Navy statements confirm the timeline: a generator-related casualty on July 24, four days without power, and a return to service after repair work at the Philippine base.

This Is Not An Isolated Incident

The Benfold breakdown is the second publicly reported power-related failure on a Navy destroyer in the Indo-Pacific this year. In May, the USS Higgins lost power and propulsion for several hours after what the Navy also labeled an electrical “engineering casualty.”

Two Arleigh Burke-class ships losing power in the same region within months of each other is the kind of pattern that deserves scrutiny, not dismissal.

“Engineering casualty” is a Navy catch-all term, not a diagnosis. Investigators still have not said whether the Benfold’s failure came from worn-out parts, a maintenance schedule pushed too far, a design flaw, or human error.

That distinction matters because the answer determines whether this was a freak mechanical fluke or a symptom of something bigger across the fleet.

The Bigger Readiness Question Facing The Fleet

Naval oversight reports paint a sobering backdrop. The Congressional Budget Office estimated Arleigh Burke-class destroyers will spend up to 27 percent of their entire service lives tied up in overhauls and maintenance.

A 2020 Defense Department inspector general audit found engineering casualties on this same ship class had already contributed to sailor deaths and injuries in prior incidents. Aging hulls, packed deployment schedules, and deferred maintenance are a documented pattern, not speculation.

Taxpayers foot a massive bill to keep these destroyers combat-ready, and sailors deserve equipment that will not leave them stranded and sweltering in waters where Beijing tests American resolve daily.

A four-day blackout with no toilets or air conditioning is more than an inconvenience. It is a readiness signal the Navy owes Congress and the public a straight answer on, especially with a second destroyer casualty already on the books this year.

The Navy says the investigation into the Benfold’s generator failure continues. Until it wraps up, the clearest facts remain the ones already confirmed: four days without power, no injuries, a tow to Subic Bay, and a fleet-wide question about how many more of these episodes the Navy can absorb before readiness becomes a crisis instead of a talking point.

Sources:

cbsnews.com, stripes.com, cnn.com, en.wikipedia.org, youtube.com, facebook.com, usni.org, linkedin.com, timesofindia.indiatimes.com